Saturday, May 10, 2014

Always flowers in the valleys

Ps 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

Life is definitely full of peaks and valleys. It seems over the past couple of weeks that I have seen my family, friends, and others experiencing valley after valley. Every day it seems there has been a new challenge or tragedy ranging from tornados, death, divorce, depression, addiction, surgery, cancer and chemo. I have seen, heard, and felt the fear, grief, and the pain. But that’s not all; I have also seen the courage especially when those struggling are able to look beyond their actual circumstances to the gifts available but sometimes hidden.

One of the difficulties in the past two weeks struck close to home. My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer and the best option for him given the aggressiveness of his cancer was to have surgery. For various reasons, he was initially not considered a good candidate for surgery. He was required to go through different tests before they would approve his surgery. He passed those and was allowed to have the surgery which happened a week or so ago. All was successful and his additional biopsies were clean even though his prostate was almost completely involved with cancer. And now, he is focused on recovery. Praise God!

As we met with the doctor the morning of the surgery, Dad said, “I am in your capable hands and God’s”. The doctor’s response back to my father was that it was mostly God’s. He spoke such truth. The other part of this story was God’s care and preparation in advance of this diagnosis. You see my Dad had open heart surgery and a stroke following that surgery a few years ago which was a negative for additional surgery. In the past year, he decided to really focus on his health. So, he has been on a training program and has lost a lot of weight. He was in very good physical condition which helped him get approval to take the surgical option. Also, for other reasons, he has a blood test every quarter. In one quarter, his PSAs tripled which allowed them to catch the cancer quickly. Surgery early in the development of this cancer likely prevented it from spreading. God was gracious to my Dad and my family.

Yes, our outcome was positive. But even if it had not been positive, it would not have meant that God isn't gracious in his support and comfort. There was a Facebook post after the tornados that swept through MS, AK, and AL, that reinforced that God was not just with the people who survived unscathed but also with those who lost possessions, family and even their own lives. I don’t propose to know why God allows such tragedy but I do hang on with everything I have that he never lets us go. He doesn’t let go in circumstances that occur beyond our control like a tornado or cancer. He doesn’t let go when we make harmful choices and face difficult consequences. He doesn’t let go when we succumb to addiction, depression, or total self-reliance. Yes, he certainly blesses us in our peaks, but I believe his real love is revealed when he doesn’t let go in the valleys. We just sometimes don’t look for it.

When I sit down to write each week, there is usually something that has struck me during the week. When it sticks with me, I know that it should then be my topic for the week’s blog. On my drive home after my Dad’s surgery, I was thinking about all the tragedy I had heard or seen in the past days, the painful conversations that I had been having with friends. Lots of valleys- and the image of a valley with flowers kept coming to mind. You see there are always flowers in valleys. Even though I knew I needed to write about this, I couldn’t figure out what I really needed to say or what God was speaking to me. And so, I have waited to get clarity.


Then it occurred to me, the flowers are glimpses of God’s power, his love and his comfort even in the darkest of valleys. Sometimes, when things are stripped away and the world’s trappings are eliminated, we are reminded what is really important. It is our relationships- Relationships with our family, friends, those who live and work around us, those in need, and mostly with our God. We get a chance to see God work in and through others- more flowers. We get to see God-given courage. Courage evidenced in a sign propped up against rubble that used to be homes that says, “We praise you in the storm”. Courage of a college swimmer who lost his life as he held up a falling retaining wall allowing his girlfriend to survive. Courage of a mother who expresses her gratitude from a hospital bed amid her grief for the time she had with her young sons whom she had just lost in the storm. Courage of a woman facing chemotherapy again asking for prayer that God be glorified in every step. Courage of a mother sending a child to the best rehab center that she can find. God-inspired courage- flowers in the valley. The same courage that Jesus received as he prayed “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me, yet not my will, but yours be done.” Even in the face of death, God sent his angels to appear before Christ and strengthened him. More flowers in the valley. Lam 3:19-22 “I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet I call to mind and therefore I have hope. Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail…” God’s hope, love, and compassion- God's Grace and precious Flowers in the valley…

I think back to my valleys over the years. Yes, there were always flowers in the valley. Those flowers appeared in how the Holy Spirit taught me and strengthened my faith. Those flowers were my precious children who were both born to me and given to me through marriage. Flowers at work that allowed me to be financially secure despite divorce or corporate failure. Flowers in my girlfriends who have filled the gap with my kids when my work kept me on the road. Flowers when my sister showed up unasked at one of the saddest times of my life, and a whole flower garden resulting from my mother’s love and support through every peak and valley. The faith she taught me growing up, the support she has provided over the years especially when I needed help caring for my kids as a single mom, and the example of love that she provides every day. I see and experience Christ in my mother’s love. A life full of flowers!

So today, I honor my mother. And I honor the gift that God is in all- peaks and valleys. I am thankful that there are always flowers in the valley!!!

So, I run for all the mothers who are the flowers to their children. And, I run for those who are struggling in the valley at this moment. May you fear no evil and may you experience HIS presence and comfort! And may you see the flowers in the valley!

No comments:

Post a Comment