Saturday, May 20, 2023

The path to 60 is now the path of 60!

 Well, it has now come and gone…that dreaded birthday. The one I have been ruminating about and preparing for. Here I am 3 days into being 60. The reality is nothing really changed- sun comes up and goes down. I am still stiff in the morning but that passes quickly. I am still drinking coffee in the early hours, answering emails all day, and sweeping the days dog hair in the evenings. It is in many ways just a number as so many of my birthday notes reminded me. 

And yet for me, it is more than that. I am introspective by nature. I often write about our stories in terms of seasons. I took a walk the morning of my birthday and was reminded of how things ebb and flow. I didn’t listen to a podcast as I usually do. I wanted to be quiet and present, listening to the sounds and seeing the beauty. My neighbors have beautiful landscaped yards. As I was walking, I noticed that one house that has a whole bed in the spring filled with tulips was now cleaned up with new pine straw. The time for those tulips was gone. A few houses still had pansies which lasted a little longer this year because it hasn’t been that hot yet. But they are also on their way out. But there was new life coming. I could smell the blooming ligustrum and some honeysuckle. The day lilies were blooming every where and new begonias and impatiens had been planted. I even saw my favorite thing- a baby bunny. It was a new season and a perfect picture to me that day, that a new season was beginning. 

I heard a speaker a couple of weeks ago talking about how you encourage people in transition and change. Often we focus on the challenge or the loss or even the behavioral requirement that comes with change. With aging, this is a natural route especially for women experiencing empty nests, post menopausal weight, and increasing laugh lines. Life is changing with often a sense of loss. His rebuttal to that was that we should really start with the possibilities to come. It made me think about the myriad of verses in the Bible that touch on the topic of possibilities- like nothing is impossible or everything is possible with God. For me, (and this may be a distinction without a difference) the first version using the word impossible feels more confined to my imagination or desires. Somehow, everything is possible seems more open to the breadth of  God- things beyond my simple imagination. A sacred plan. Sacred possibilities…

I have been doing work with a personal coach in anticipation of this birthday and the days after. She reminded me that one of the gifts of our stories at this age is wisdom. I had read a book, From Strength to Strength earlier this year by a social scientist named Arthur Brooks. It touched on intelligence. In our younger days we have the ability to cultivate more facts, think flexibly and solve unique problems. It’s called fluid intelligence. But as we age and our brain evolves, our intellect develops into crystallized intelligence- simply put wisdom. From his further writings, he provides that most radical discoveries and works of art happened at early ages- 20s to early 30s. Many struggled then to find that next great discovery for the rest of their lives. But, others saw the place they could teach, encourage and provide wise counsel that brought even greater gifts and certainly renewed purpose. 

So, here I am with a lot of life experience including accomplishments, great blessings, and significant disappointments. With all of that comes wisdom. All of us have that. At some point, we have to open up to the possibilities of how God may use that in a world desperate for healing. So, as I anticipated this birthday, I began to put some words down that are my hope for the decade of the 60s. I thought I would share it as my own accountability process and maybe some twinkle of hope for someone else searching for purpose later in life.

Fundamental to my work is the knowledge that we all want to feel seen, heard, supported and valued. Secondly, I am compelled by an inner knowing, the Spirit, that my purpose is not diminishing at this stage but calling me forth to a new season of God’s possibilities.

Based on that, here are my areas of hope and focus…

Claim and pursue a deep understanding of my value and focus on the gifts and opportunities as God’s child and creation 

Build memories with my family honoring the natural evolution of those relationships

Experience laughter and love with the friendships of a lifetime 

Create beauty and peace through being present, in my surroundings, with my health and through my gifts

 And lastly, Serve my community leveraging my gifts, experiences, and passions to encourage others     bringing hope and light to those who need it.

Here in this decade of the 60s, my personal mission is to pursue my purpose and engage with those who God places in my path with love, grace, and gratitude in the hope of reflecting my faith and being a voice of encouragement so others feel seen, heard, supported and valued. I am trusting God and the words of his son… Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible but with God all things are possible.”

For any others who may be struggling with a sense of purpose. Embrace the possibilities. Trust that your experience has brought wisdom. There has been  preparation for your next season. 

God is not done with us yet. We are still on a sacred journey…

Here’s to the sixties with new anticipation!🥂

   

 


 


                

 

  






2 comments:

  1. Great blog post! You’re so gifted as a writer and seem to out all your thoughts together perfectly! #60isthenew50

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, you are a great writer. When we were 16 I was the last one to turn. Late birthday. Now that we are 60 I'm glad I'm the last one to turn. I will be there with you in September. I'm working on framing it up to be the beginning of a grand new adventure and chapter in my life. One where I'll see many miracles! Thank you for the inspiration! You are a treasured friend! Jan Paxman

    ReplyDelete